The curriculum delivered focuses on introducing pupils in Year 7 to the fundamental skills of Art and Design, and builds upon this through Years 8 with the exploration of artists and Design Movements. They are encouraged to develop their two-dimensional and three-dimensional skills by responding to ideas and themes. In the projects covered, all pupils will:
OCR GCSE Art and Design which is split between coursework and a practical examination. Unit 1 is a portfolio piece of coursework which accounts for 60% of the overall GCSE. Unit 2 is an externally set task and accounts for the remaining 40% of the Grade. (10 hour examination, plus preparation time.)
AQA syllabus covers two units of work. Unit 1 is practical portfolio based piece of coursework. Unit 2 is an externally set assignment (5 hour examination, plus preparation and completion time during lessons).
AQA syllabus covers a further two units of work. Unit 3 is practical coursework integrated with a written personal investigation. Unit 4 is an externally set assignment (15 hour examination, plus preparation time during lessons).
Art and Design has direct links to any career within the creative industries, such as all types of designing, media and fashion, but also careers demanding practical and creative skills such as in engineering, architecture, fashion, hair & beauty and building industries.
I am glad that I took the advice and support that was offered, this gave me the confidence to succeed in my exams.Katie, Sixth Form View our success stories